Vegan ‘cheese’ isn’t too easy to get a hold of, particularly at a reasonable price! However, I personally enjoy pizza without cheese, and I often order it without cheese from pizza restaurants. It’s nice to make your own pizza base as it is not only tastier, but often healthier too, since it doesn’t come with preservatives (or encased with plastic…as you may have gathered I’m not a plastic fan at all; I’m particularly against single-use plastics such as straws, carrier bags etc). The dough needs 1 hour and 30 minutes to rise, so don’t start this when you’re really hungry! Alternatively, the dough can be made 1 day before – store it in a bowl with a plate covering it as a lid in the fridge.
Ingredients for the pizza base
1 cup of white bread flour (don’t use normal flour)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon mixed herbs (basil, oregano or whatever else you have in your kitchen)
2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
3 tablespoons of oil
2/3 cup warm water (not lukewarm)
3/4 cups of white bread flour
Onion, garlic, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes
Tomato sauce recipe
Garlic infused olive oil (pour out a bit of oil in a frying pan, add chopped garlic heat over low temp until the garlic is golden – not brown/black!)
1) For the base, mix the first five ingredients well in a large bowl and stir well.
2) Quickly add the oil and warm water, stirring constantly. The dough will be very wet and sticky
3) Gradually add the 3/4 cups of white bread flour, stir.
4) Next, need the dough for 5 minutes; add a bit more flour if it still feels wet and sticky.
5) Form the dough into a ball and cover with oil. Leave it in the bowl, cover with a plate and let it rise for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6) Prepare your tomato sauce.
7) Fry your toppings – I’m a fan of onions, garlic, mushrooms and peppers so I fry them in oil.
8) Once your dough is ready, tear it into 2 balls of dough. On a floured surface, use a floured rolling pin (or a floured wine bottle if you don’t have a rolling pin) to shape into circles. Put the dough in the oven for 5 mins.
9) Spread the tomato sauce evenly on your pizza, sprinkle your toppings on. I also add chopped sundried tomatoes, because I love them on pizza.
10) Sprinkle your garlic infused oil over your pizza.
11) Place in the oven for 15 mins at approx 250 degrees Celsius.