I tend to make vegan lasagna with soya mince, but it would be just as nice with beans (e.g. kidney beans) or lentils.
1 onion, chopped
3 finely chopped garlic cloves
2 chopped carrots (optional)
Herbs to season (e.g. oregano, basil, bay leaf)
1/2 a stock cube (veggie)
Pinch of baking soda
1 packet soya mince (I buy it from Tesco)
Lasagne sheets (Make sure they’re egg free!)
For the creamy filling:
Tofu mori-nu, firm (You can find this in some supermarkets. I tend to buy it from Chinese/Asian food supermarkets)
1 teaspoon of mustard
1) Fry the onion in olive oil, add the garlic and carrots just when the onions have begun to brown. Add tinned tomatoes, season with herbs, 1/2 stock cube, a pinch of baking soda and let it simmer.
2) In the meantime put soya mince in a large bowl and pour boiling water over it (follow the instructions on the soya mince pack). Then cover the bowl with a plate for 5 mins.
3) Next, pour the soya mince/ cooked lentils/beans in the pot with the tomato sauce and simmer.
4) Now mash the tofu in a large bowl with a fork. Add mustard, pepper, a bit of salt and herbs to season.
5) Finally assemble the lasagna- first a thin layer of tomato soya mince, then a thin layer of tofu mix, then the lasagna sheet. The lasagna sheet should be covered by the tomato mix thoroughly, or it wont cook well.
6) Stick in the oven for 20 mins, and make sure to check on it to see if its ready to eat.